Current Affair, 2nd March 2020
- March 2, 2020
- Posted By : upliftlife
- 0 Comment
- Prime Minister launches 10,000 Farmer Producer Organisations (FPOs) all over the country
- To supplement the nodes of the Uttar Pradesh Defence Industrial Corridor, announced in February 2018, the Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone for the 296-kilometres long Bundelkhand Expressway at Chitrakoot today. To be built at a cost of Rs 14,849 crore, the Expressway is expected to benefit Chitrakoot, Banda, Mahoba, Hamirpur, Jalaun, Auraiya and Etawah districts. The event also marked the launch of 10,000 Farmers Producer Organisations all over the country at Chitrakoot today. He also launched a saturation drive for distribution of Kisan Credit Cards (KCC) to all the beneficiaries under the PM-KISAN Scheme.
- Lauding the Government for taking a number of initiatives to forge employment in the country, Shri Modi said Bundelkhand Expressway, Purvanchal Expressway or the proposed Ganga Expressway, will not only increase connectivity in UP, but also create many employment opportunities and will also connect the people with the facilities available in big cities.
- Referring to the huge defence equipment requirements spanning from land systems, ships and submarines to fighter aircraft, helicopters, weapons and sensors, the Prime Minister said that a provision of Rs 3700 crore has been made for the UP Defence Corridor in this year’s budget. UP Defense Corridor is also getting momentum from Bundelkhand Expressway, he added.
- To increase the income of the farmers of the country and empower them, Prime Minister launched a scheme to create 10,000 FPOs i.e. Farmer Producer Organizations. The farmer who was a producer till now, will also conduct business through FPO, he added. Outlining several initiatives undertaken by the Government for farmers, PM said Government has worked at every front that concerns farmers- be it MSP, Soil Health Card, 100% neem coating of urea, completion of irrigation projects lying incomplete for decades.
- Prime Minister said that the FPOs will help in collectivisation of the efforts of the farmers so that they can sell their produce at a better price.In the same spirit, the Prime Minister said the government decided to give more incentives to FPOs in more than 100 Aspirational Districts- ‘Aspirational Districts’ of the country with at least one FPO formed in every block.
- He stressed that nearly 2 crore farmer families of entire UP including Chitrakoot are getting their entitlement of over 12 thousand crore rupees a year, directly deposited in their bank accounts, without middlemen and any discrimination. He compared this with the times when packages of thousands of crores were announced in the name of farmers, in the name of Bundelkhand, but nothing reached the pocket of the farmer. He also added that beneficiaries of PM Kisan Yojana are also being linked to PM Jeevan Jyoti Insurance and PM Jeevan Suraksha Insurance Scheme. “This will ensure insurance amount of up to 2 lakh rupees to farmers in difficult times,” he added.
- The Prime Minister announced that a 16 point program has been created to increase farmer’s income. He said that the government is making efforts to ensure that the farmer gets a rural haat within a few kilometers of his field, which will connect him to any market in the country. In the coming times, these rural haats will become new centers of agricultural economy, he added.
- PM pays tributes to the former Prime Minister of India Shri Moraji Desai on his birth anniversary
- PM paid tributes to the former Prime Minister of India Shri Moraji Desai on his birth anniversary. The Prime Minister said “He always did politics based on discipline and principles, for which he will always be remembered.”
- Morarji Ranchhodji Desai(29 February 1896 – 10 April 1995) was an Indian independence activist and served between 1977 and 1979 as the 4th Prime Minister of India and led the government formed by the Janata Party. During his long career in politics, he held many important posts in government such as Chief Minister of Bombay State, Home Minister, Finance Minister and 2nd Deputy Prime Minister of India.
- Following the passing of Prime Minister Lal Bahadur Shastri, Desai was a strong contender for the position of Prime Minister, only to be defeated by Indira Gandhiin 1966. He was appointed as Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance in Indira Gandhi’s cabinet, until 1969. He resigned from the Congress during the split of 1969, and joined the INC (O). After the controversial emergency was lifted in 1977, the political parties of the opposition fought together against the Congress, under the umbrella of the Janata Party, and won the 1977 election. Desai was elected Prime Minister, and became the first non-Congress Prime Minister of India.
- On the international scene, Desai holds international fame for his peace activismand created efforts to initiate peace between two rival South Asian states, Pakistan and India. After India’s first nuclear test in 1974, Desai helped restore friendly relations with China and Pakistan, and vowed to avoid armed conflict such as Indo-Pakistani war of 1971. He was honoured with the highest civilian award of Pakistan, the Nishan-e-Pakistan on 19 May 1990.
- He is the oldest person to hold the office of prime minister, at the age of 84, in the history of Indian politics.He subsequently retired from all political posts, but continued to campaign for the Janata Party in 1980. He was conferred with India’s highest civilian honour, the Bharat Ratna. He died at the age of 99 in 1995.
- Under CSR initiative, SPMCIL contributes Rs 1 crore towards National Sports Development Fund
Under the CSR initiatives of the Company, Security Printing & Minting Corporation of India (SPMCIL) contributed a sum of Rs 1 Crore towards National Sports Development Fund under the Target Olympic Podium Scheme (TOPS) for the top athletes of our Country selected for Tokyo Olympics and beyond. The cheque of Rs 1 Crore was handed over to Shri Kiren Rijiju, Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Youth Affairs & Sports on 27.02.2020 by Ms Tripti Patra Ghosh, Chairman and Managing Director, SPMCIL and Shri S.K. Sinha, Director (HR), SPMCIL. Shri Inder Dhamija, Joint Secretary (Sports) and Shri B.J. Gupta, General Manager (HR), SPMCIL were also present.
- With the dedicated support of public health professionals, diseases of public health importance have been eradicated or eliminated from India: Dr. Harsh Vardhan
- “Under the dynamic leadership of our Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi ji, we are poised to achieve Universal Health Coverage by providing holistic care through the two pillars of Ayushman Bharat i.e. Pradhan Mantri Jan ArogyaYojana (PMJAY) to provide healthcare coverage to 50 cr citizens of the country and setting up of Health and Wellness Centres in all parts of the country. We aim to transform 150,000 PHCs and sub-centres to HWCs by 2022”, said Dr. Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare while inaugurating the 64th Annual National Conference of the Indian Public Health Association, at AIIMS New Delhi today.
- Harsh Vardhan said that we have seen and experienced the major outbreaks across the globe like Nipah and Ebola which has struck so many countries but we didn’t allow such outbreaks in our country. Similarly, we have taken all the necessary precautionary measures to tackle the global scenario emerging due to Novel Coronavirus.
- He further said that we can also achieve the herculean target to eradicate Tuberculosis by 2025 with the contribution of all stakeholders way ahead to the timeline.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan stated that as the dynamics of diseases burden is changing worldwide, we need to look for newer solutions such as digital technology in health and geospatial information systems. He also said that India is now capable to create new milestones and show the way forward for Health for All. He added that with the wholehearted support of public health professionals, India was able to eliminate poliomyelitis and there are other success stories, where with the dedication and help of public health professionals, diseases of public health importance have been eradicated or eliminated from India. Because of such contributions of present and past members of the Indian Public Health Association (IPHA), the IPHA is held in high regard, he said.
- The Union Health Minister stated that with the theme of “Promoting Public Health Leadership for Universal Health Coverage in India”, this conference will see the convergence of India’s leading experts in the field of public health. The theme holds relevance in today’s India where “Ayushman Bharat” has been launched with a view to providing equitable health to its citizens, thereby achieving ‘Health for All’ goal. IPHACON 2020 will provide an opportunity to explore, learn and share knowledge on various health programms and initiatives by the government like Swastha Bharat Mission, Ayushman Bharat, PoshanAbhiyan and Jal Jeevan Mission for public health experts working in different fields. Eminent speakers from the field of public health will share their experiences, views and opinions on topics like public health leadership for UHC, Mission towards malnutrition free India, AnaemiaMukt Bharat, Tobacco Control, Strengthening public Health Systems, Anti- microbial resistance, Maternal Nutrition Programmes, Ending AIDS by 2030 and Updates on National Health Initiatives, Dr. Harsh Vardhan stated.
- Problems of Ad-hoc teachers of Delhi University to be resolved soon- Amit Khare
- Human Resource Development Ministry Secretary,Mr. Amit Khare, said that he had held detailed discussions with the Vice-Chancellor –VC of Delhi University regarding the problems of Ad-hoc teachers and has asked the VC to take steps for filling the vacant faculty positions and also for promotion of teachers.
- He was speaking at the inauguration of the New Wing of Shivaji College, Delhi. During his speech, Amit Khare said that teachers are the backbone of the education system and while working for quality education, we should also focus on resolving the challenges being faced by the teaching community.
- During the inaugural function, Shri Khare paid tributes to ChatrapatiShivajiMaharaj and said that it is both pertinent and meaningful that the new block is named after MatashreeJijabai, Shivaji’s mother who played a definitive role in his upbringing.
- This new block has been constructed under the leadership of the principal, Dr. Shashi Nijhawan. The building has state of the art infrastructure, including laboratories, seminar halls, auditoriums, classrooms and many other facilities for students and faculty.
- Khare congratulated Dr.Nijhawan and the faculty for this meaningful addition to the college and said that it has added both quantitatively and qualitatively to the college infrastructure and to the pedagogic and mentoring process. He also said that naming the Academic Block in the name of Mata Jijabai also reflects on the women empowerment.
- Shivaji College is now the second institution of the University of Delhi to have a Finance Lab, a great advantage for the student to gain hands- on knowledge of different processes.
- Products Worth Rs 22 Lakh Sold in State Level KVIC Exhibition Under P.M.E.G
- A sale of worth Rs 22 lakhs was recorded in an exhibition organised by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) New Delhi state office under Prime Minister Employment Generation Programme (PMEGP) during 16-29 February 2020.
- Twenty five stalls of Khadi clothes, handicraft products, pickle, honey, millet biscuits, leather goods, embroidery etc from many States and Union Territory units of KVIC viz Jammu & Kashmir, Ladakh, Orissa, Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Maharashtra and COIR Board participated in the exhibition.
- The exhibition was inaugurated by Lieutenant Governor of Ladakh Shri R.K. Mathur and Joint Secretary, MSME Ministry Shri Sudhir Garg was present in the closing function today. Joint Secretary, MSME Ministry Smt. Alka Arora, senior officials from KVIC and Ministry and huge number of people visited the stalls during the exhibition. Khadirumals stitched by J&K militancy affected women were in good demand. Products made from hand made paper, carpets from Mirzapur and organic healthy food items were also centre of attraction.
- ‘Pension Adalat’, NPS awareness, grievance redressal
- The Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Development of North-Eastern Region (DoNER), MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh inaugurated the ‘Pension Adalat’ and National Pension System (NPS) Awareness and Grievance Redressal Programme at Convention Centre, Jammu today. The Programme is being conducted by the Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Government of India. The Minister also launched “Do You Know” Twitter Series on Family Pension, along with a booklet highlighting case studies with interpretation of Pension Rules.
- Inaugurating the Pension Adalat, Dr.Jitendra Singh said that this is the first time that Pension Adalat is being conducted outside Delhi as the government wants to reach every part of society, every part of country to get the pensioner’s grievances redressed in the real-time as aspired by the honourable Prime Minister of India. The Minister further said that the Pension Adalats will help in on-the-spot redressal of pensioners’ grievances which has given the right of “Ease of Living” to the pensioners. Dr.Jitendra Singh also said that the Prime Minster Shri Narendra Modi has directed that Pensioners be provided a hassle-free administrative system to resolve their grievances.
- Speaking about the grievance redressal system, the Minister said that the grievance redressal system was quite neglected before 2014 but the day the present government has taken to power, the system has completely changed. The grievances have increased manifold from two lakhs to twenty lakhs which is evidence that the people have a complete faith on the present government, the Minister added. The present government has a grievance redressal rate from 95 percent to 100 percent per week and the pension Adalat started a few years back is proof of it, he reiterated.
- The Minister also said that a number of reforms have been undertaken by the Government to facilitate the pensioners. Highlighting the initiatives of the present Government, he said that one of the main initiatives taken was to fix the minimum pension at Rs 1,000. He said that other initiatives such as Bhavishya, Sankalp, JeevanPraman-digital life certificates, doing away with the obsolete laws and self-attestation, among others have also been taken. He further said that the retired population is increasing in India and it is in national interest to channelize their energies in a positive manner as this government takes them as an asset and not as a liability. There should be smooth transition from their active life to retired life, he added.
- The Minister also said that the real time portal, the dash board for the security personnel’s and a toll free number 1800111960 started by the government is the proof that the present government is serious towards the welfare of the employees both serving, retiring and the retired.
- The government under Shri Narendra Modi performs with evidence and all the central schemes and programmes have been implemented in a very progressive manner in J&K like in other parts of India and the success stories of people are before you who got benefited under UjjawalaYojana and Saubhagya Scheme.
- In his address, the Advisor to the Lt. Governor of Jammu and Kashmir, Shri. R.R. Bhatnagar said that it is good to see that this pension Adalat is conducted outside Delhi for the first time which shows the seriousness of the central government towards the grievance redressal mechanism. It is a good opportunity for the pensioners, the retiring employees and the serving to get their grievances redressed here by asking all the relevant questions, he added. Praising the central government for many of its initiatives taken in the last three years, the Advisor said that the pendency of the pension related cases has come down significantly which is a sign of a good governance.
- The Secretary, Department of Pension & Pensioners’ Welfare, Dr.KshatrapatiShivaji, in his welcome address, said that the aim of the Department is to provide a social security and a distinguished social life to the pensioners post-retirement. He further said that those who are not able to have a life certificate for many of the reasons, the government has eased this route by asking the banks to come to their home and issue a life certificate.
- The Pension Adalats are being convened with the objective of bringing on a common table the aggrieved pensioner, the concerned department, the bank or CGHS representative, wherever relevant, so that such cases can be settled across the table within the framework of extant rules.
- In the Pension Adalat, 342 cases pertaining to Central government pensioners of various departments and Ministries like Textiles, Defence, Forests, ASI, GSI,CGWB, CWC, C&AG, NSSO, DGDD, BSF, SSB, CISF, CRPF, ITBP, MIB and JKGAD were discussed and subsequently 289 such cases were settled on spot. The 53 pending cases were asked to be processed and settled within 15 days by the concerned departments.
- With respect to NPS subscribers, cases pertaining to Central Government Employees, as well as those of the UT of Jammu & Kashmir (J&K), numbering more than 200, whose NPS accounts have certain irregularity, were taken up and their respective Pr. AOs and DDOs were called for a briefing and corrective action, so that the subscribers do not suffer continuous loss, resulting in lower annuity value, post their retirement.
- Indian Railways launches its First “Restaurant on Wheels”
- Indian Railways launched its first ‘Restaurant on Wheels’ at the circulating area of Asansol Railway station for the use of Railway passengers as well as general public of Asansol. Minister of State for Environment, Forest & Climate Change, Shri Babul Supriyo, inaugurated this first of its kind restaurant in a programme held at Asansol station on 26thFebruary, 2020. Shri Babul Supriyo also inaugurated two new air-conditioned Retiring Rooms and Electronic Reservation Chart Display System (through MPLAD fund) and a Battery operated Car at Asansol station.
- The Restaurant on Wheels at Asansol station circulating area was developed by refurbishing two over aged MEMU coaches. This unique effort will not only improve the facilities at Asansol station but also generate non-fare revenue earnings approximately Rs50 lakhs in the next five years.
- The Electronic Reservation Chart Display System (through MPLAD fund) at Asansol station will provide easy access to information about the reservation status in different trains, which will be very helpful for the railway passengers. The two new air-conditioned Retiring Rooms equipped with the state-of-the-art furniture and other equipment will provide much comfort to the passengers. The battery operated car will be very helpful for the Divyangjan and senior citizen passengers for their comfortable movement at the station area.
- Prime Minister Distributes daily Living AIDS and Devices to Senior Citizens & Divyangjan at biggest ever RVY & ADIP camp at Prayagraj
- Biggest ever Samajik Adhikarita Shivir held at the sacred city of Prayagraj, Uttar Pradesh today for distribution of Aids and Assistive devices among senior citizens and divyangjan . Prime Minister of India Shri Narendra Modi was the Chief Guest on the occasion. Other dignitaries who graced the occasion were the Governor of UP Smt. Anandi Ben Patel, Chief Minister of UP Yogi Aditya Nath, Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Dr. Thaawarchand Gehlot, Ministers of State for Social Justice and Empowerment Shri Krishna Pal Gurjar, Shri Ramdas Athawale, Shri Rattan Lal Kataria, Deputy Chief Minister of UP Shri Keshav Prasad Maurya, UP State Government Ministers and Local MPs and MLAs. Secretary, DEPwD, Smt. Shakuntala D. Gamlin and other senior officers from the Ministry and Government of Uttar Pradesh were also present.
- In this historic event, 56905 Aids and Assistive devices were distributed to 26874 beneficiary includes Divyangjan under ADIP and senior citizens under Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana comprising of 10,416 Divyangjan and 16,458 senior citizens. Total value of the aids and assistive devices amounts to approx. Rs 19,37,76,980/-.
- Addressing the gathering, the Prime Minister quoted the age old maxim in Sanskrit, – “स्वस्ति: प्रजाभ्यःपरिपालयंतां. न्यायेन मार्गेण महीं महीशाः (Swastih Prajaabhyah Paripaalayantaam, Nyaayena Maarge Na, Maheem Mahishaah)” meaning it is the duty of the Government to get equal justice. He said, “This maxim is the basis for the philosophy of Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas Sabka Vishwaas. With this spirit, our government is working to the welfare & development of each and every one in the society. It is my government’s first priority to protect the interests of 130 Crore Indians whether Senior Citizens, Divyangjan, Tribals or the downtrodden”.
- Referring to the mega camp of distribution of aids and devices the Prime Minister said it is a part of the Government’s effort to provide better living to one and all. “During the time of earlier governments, such distribution camps were hardly organised, and such mega camps were very rare. In the last five years, our government has set up about 9,000 camps in different parts of the country,” he said. He said in the last five years the Government has distributed over Rs 900 Crore worth of aids and devices to the Divyangjan.
- Prime Minister said, “In the development of a New India, it is essential that there is an equal participation by the Divyangjan Youth and Children. The Government is encouraging them be it the Industrial Sector, Service Sector or in the field of Sports and Games”. “Ours is the first Government which has enacted the “Rights of Persons with the Disabilities Act”, through this we have expanded the categories of disabilities from 7 to 21. We have also increased the quota of reservation for Higher Education from 3% to 5% for the Divyangjan”
- The Prime Minister said that in the last five years, many buildings in the country, more than 700 railway stations and airports, have been made accessible to the disabled. The remaining ones will also be made accessible by linking to the Sugamya Bharat Abhiyan, he added.
- Speaking on the occasion Dr.Thaawarchand Gehlot said that under the visionary leadership of the Prime Minister, DEPwD under Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has been continuously progressing in the path of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities and Senior citizens. He said that in this process DEPwD has already created Seven Guinness Book of World Records earlier. He stated that that the Ministry is implementing UDID card project for the purpose of issuing UDID cards for every Divyangjan which will be recognised across the country.
- Yogi Aditya Nath in his address informed that the Government of UP has increased the amount of disability pension from Rs 300 to Rs 500. He also expressed his gratitude to the Union Ministry for Social Justice and Empowerment for taking wide ranging initiatives for comprehensive empowerment of divyangjan across the country covering districts and sub districts as well. He also informed that his government is taking steps to empower Divyangjan and applauded the support of Member of Parliaments, Prayagraj, Badohi and Phoolpur & MLA and MLCs those who contributed by proving su bsidy from their local area development fund in providing Motorised tricycle to Divyangjan of Prayagraj.
- With a view to maximise intended benefits to Senior Citizens and Divyangjan in the district of Prayagraj, ALIMCO, a Central Public Sector Enterprise, was ordered by Union Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment to conduct assessment camps. Accordingly, the camps were conducted with full support from district administration. The Assessment camps of Senior Citizens were conducted at block level 20 locations, 05 Municipal limits of Prayagraj & 01 Gram Panchayat in Prayagraj district during the period of 09thto 21st December 2019, 06th to 10th January 2020, 07th February 2020 & 22nd February 2020 in which a total of 26874 beneficiaries were registered.
The summary of beneficiaries earmarked for distribution of free aids and assisted devices in the mega distribution camp were as under:-
||No. of Beneficiaries
||No. of Appliances
||Value of Camp
Apart from above, the Ministry with the assistance of Prayagraj District administration established 03 Guinness Book of World Records. One of the records with title ‘Largest Parade of hand operated Tricycles’ was attempted on 28.02.2020 and 02 attempts were made on 29.02.2020.
Status of the 03 titles are as under:
- Largest Parade of hand operated Tricycle. (300 Nos.) :
This world record was successfully created by DPEWD, ALIMCO and District Administration Prayagraj on 28.02.2020 by covering 1.8 Km succeeding the previous record made in UAE with 250 Tricycle parade covering 1.6 Km.
- Most hand operated Tricycle donated in one-hour. (626 Nos.) :
This record was the maiden Guinness World Record created by DPEWD, ALIMCO and District Administration Prayagraj today.
- Largest moving line of wheel chairs. (400 Nos.) :
This record was the maiden Guinness World Record created by DPEWD, ALIMCO and District Administration Prayagraj today.
The details of major appliances distributed in the camp were as under:
||Tripod & Tetrapod
||Wheel Chair Commode
||Silicon Foam Cushion
||Walking Stick with Seat
||Foot care kit
- Government announces 11 chairs in the name of eminent women in various fields of Science & Technology
- On the occasion of National Science Day yesterday, Government has announced 11 chairs in the name of eminent Indian women scientists in various fields to inspire, encourage, empower women and give due recognition to young women researchers excelling in various fields.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has announced several schemes for Women’s Empowerment and the proposal is in line with theme for this year’s National Science Day – ‘Women in Science’.
- The 11 Chairs have been instituted in various areas of research including Agriculture, Biotechnology, Immunology, Phytomedicine, Biochemistry, Medicine, Social Sciences, Earth Science & Meteorology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Physics & Fundamental Research.
One of the chairs constituted is under the name of the noted anthropologist Dr IrawatiKarve.
Details are as following:
||Chair to be instituted in the name of
|Fields with which the Scientist was associated
||Dr. Archana Sharma (1932-2008) Renowned cytogenetist
||Agriculture and Allied Research
||Dr. Janaki Ammal (1897-1984) The Pioneering Botanist
||Dr. Darshan Ranganathan
(1941-2001) Organic Chemist
||Dr. Ashima Chatterjee (1917-2006) Chemist Par Excellence
||Organic Chemistry, Phytomedicine
||Dr. KadambiniGanguly(1861-1923) A doctor who broke the muth
||Dr IrawatiKarve (1905-1970) Studying Humans
||Dr. Anna Mani (1918-2001) Pioneer Indian Meterologist
||Dr. Rajeshwari Chatterjee (1922-2010) First Woman engineer from the State of Karnataka
||Dr. Raman Parimala (b.1948) Mathematician (Bhatnagar Award, 1987)
||Kamal Ranadive (8 November 1917-2001) (medicine)
- Government to launch campaign from 1st- 7th March to observe IWD 2020 on 8th March
- The Ministries of Women and Child Development, Information & Broadcasting and other Ministries of Govt. of India like Health &Family Welfare (H&FW), Human Resource Development (HRD), Agriculture & Farmer’s Welfare (A&FW), Rural Development (RD), Housing and Urban Affairs (HUA), Finance ,Defence and Home are launching a campaign to observe International Women’s Day (IWD) 2020 as a run-up to 8thMarch, celebrated as International Women’s Day all over the world.
- The campaign has a theme for all the days beginning from 1stMarch, 2020. The themes that are being observed are: education, health and nutrition, empowerment of women, skills &entrepreneurship and participation in sports, special circumstances, rural women &agriculture and urban women.
- A special program by celebrity chef, Sanjeev Kapoor will be telecast by Doordarshan from 1st-7thMarch,2020 highlighting special recipes of healthy and nutritious food for women during pregnancy and lactating period.
- Fourteen women oriented Hindi movies will be telecast on Doordarshan from 1st-7thMarch, 2020. Some of the films that will be telecast are Sarabjeet, Raazi,Tumhari Sulu and Parineeta.
- Doordarshan is also organising special programmes to commemorate the contribution of women members of the Indian Constituent Assembly to honour their contribution in the foundation of the Indian Republic.
- DD Kisan will telecast programs on women agriculturists, inventions in agriculture by women, the role of women in animal husbandry and food processing. The regional units of the News Services Division of All India Radio will also conduct extensive programmes from Sunday, 1stMarch,like talk shows, features and exclusive programmes for women.
- The M/o H&FW is organising camps for women on health and wellness and Anaemia.
- The M/o HRD in collaboration with the University Grants Commission (UGC) is conducting round tables on women empowerment on the 7 themes in about 40 central universities around the country.
- Road shows are being organised by M/o Housing and Urban Affairs during this period on Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) in Lucknow, Patna and Thiruvananthapuram to educate and inform women on how to benefit from the PMAY scheme.
- On 7thMarchthe M/o Rural Development is organising an event in New Delhi where women Self-Help Groups (SHGs) will be invited to interact and discuss various issues related to the Self-Help Groups with Minister and senior officials.
- Ministers and Secretaries of various Ministries and experts from different fields will be writing articles in their areas of specialization related to women.
- All regional units of the Press Information Bureau are organising round tables on the 7 themes at different universities, colleges and institutes all across the country. Field outreach programmes are also being organised by PIB and Bureau of Outreach and Communication in different districts of India right from the North-East region to Maoistinsurgency affected district of Chhattisgarh.
- Afghan Prez rejects release of insurgent prisoners in ‘US-Taliban deal’
- Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has rejected a key component of a new US-Taliban deal that calls for the release of insurgent prisoners. He however said, the reduction in violence will continue with a goal to reach a full ceasefire. President Ghani was speaking at a press conference in Kabul.
- It may be recalled that under the landmark agreement signed yesterday in Qatar, 5,000 Taliban would be released in exchange for up to 1,000 government detainees by 10 March. The agreement spells out a withdrawal timeline of 14 months for all foreign forces, provided the Taliban honour several pledges and enter talks with Kabul for a more comprehensive peace deal.
- An AFP report says, the agreement states that the United States commits to completing this goal of releasing the Taliban prisoners. The report added since this government is not part of the deal, it is unclear how that can it happen.
- Greece blocks nearly 10,000 migrants at Turkey border
- Greece has blocked nearly 10,000 migrants trying to enter from the Turkey border over the past 24 hours.
- A Greek government source said today that its army and police had stopped thousands from entering its territory.
- The source said, huge crowds tried to cross into Greece via the Kastanies Forest in the early hours today. Greek authorities said, 73 migrants had been arrested.
- Greek security forces are patrolling the Evros river shores, a common crossing point, and have issued loudspeaker warnings not to enter Greek territory.
- Yesterday clashes erupted along the border, where Greek police fired tear gas at migrants who in turn lobbed rocks at officers.
- Meanwhile, the EU’s border protection agency Frontex said, it is on high on Europe’s borders with Turkey as thousands of migrants seek to enter the bloc.
- Iran reports 11 new coronavirus deaths taking total to 54
- In Iran, the health ministry today reported 11 new deaths from the novel coronavirus and 385 new cases of infections, bringing the overall number of lives lost to 54 and cases to 978.
- Ministry’s spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour told a televised news conference that eleven people lost their lives in the past 24 hours, adding that testing across the country showed there were 385 new cases.
- KIUG: Dutee Chand wins her 2nd gold in 200 meters race; Gurwinder Singh bags gold in boxing
- In the final day of the Khelo India University Games in Odisha, India’s fastest woman Dutee Chand won her second gold after she bagged the top honours in the 200 meters final in Bhubaneswar today. The 24-year-old, who is representing Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology, clinched the gold medal with a timing of 23.66 seconds.
- Kirti Vijay Bhoite from the University of Mumbai settled for silver with a timing of 24.98 seconds while Deepali Mahapatra from Utkal University won the bronze, clocking 25.19 seconds.
- Earlier, Gurwinder Singh of Punjabi University, Patiala fought with his younger brother Harwinder Singh of Chandigarh University, in the final of the 49kg category boxing to clinch the gold. Gurwinder won the Match with 2-1 up in their head-to-head clashes.