Current Affairs , 14 November 2019
- November 14, 2019
- Posted By : upliftlife
- 0 Comment
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Need to increase purchasing power of labourers and farmers for inclusive development
- Field Training exercise (FTX)-2019 Exercise
- Prakash Javadekar Takes Charge as Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Minister
- ESIC to Partner PMJAY to Provide Medical Care
- CSIR-IMTECH signs MOU with IIT Bombay
- India and Switzerland
- The visit to Brazil will give me an opportunity to deepen the India-Brazil strategic partnership
- Chaos on Hong Kong roads continues for 3rd consecutive day
- Sri Lanka Presidential elections
- Bangladeshi Prez visiting Nepal
- Connectivity between India, Bangladesh is game changer
- Former Bolivian Prez Evo Morales arrives in Mexico to take up political asylum
- India calls for coordinated global action against cyber terrorism
- Virat Kohli, Jasprit Bumrah maintain top positions in ICC ODI ranking
- Asian Youth Championships
1. Need to increase purchasing power of labourers and farmers for inclusive development
· The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu said today that labourers and farmers contribute to economy not only through their hard work, but they also create demand in the economy as consumers. Therefore, it is necessary to increase their purchasing power to give a further fillip to the inclusive development.
· Addressing the 100th Birth Anniversary function of Shri Dattopanth Thengri, in New Delhi today, Shri Naidu called for equal distribution of resources to create a stable and inclusive economy. Concentration of wealth in few hands leads to disbalance in economy and resentment in society, he said.
· Highlighting that both capital and labour are important for wealth creation, the Vice President called for cooperation and harmony between the two. He also called for respecting every person who contributes to wealth creation, be it worker, manager or investor, as all of them have important roles the production chain.
· Citing Mahatma Gandhi’s concept of Trusteeship, Shri Naidu said that wealth is not for individual luxury rather it is collectively owned by the community and should be used for the welfare of public.
· On global economic changes, the Vice President said that in tandem with the global economy, we too are changing our economy. New legislative architecture is being created for a transparent, sustainable, efficient, high growth inclusive economy. Noting that India has the third largest pool of Start-ups, he said that new Start-up actors are emerging in our economy. He further said that we are witnessing constructive disruptions in the economy.
· Calling Shri Dattopant Thengadi as a great intellectual and Karmyogi, Shri Naidu lauded that he built the most powerful nationalist trade union in the country. “It is remarkable that he never gave a call for bandh and also never made the trade union indulge in violence”, he said.
· Talking of Fourth Industrial Revolution, the Vice President called upon the trade unions to prepare the workers and farmers for this new challenge. “Institutions like Bhartiya Mazdoor Sangh and Bhartiya Kisan Sangh should spread awareness about various Government programs and should train the workers and farmers in new technologies”, he said.
· Calling Shri Thengdi an inspirational person, Shri Naidu said that for him, nationalism was about taking views of all sections and their interests. “He never believed in class hatred and class wars and rendered the very notion of class itself as irrelevant”, he said.
· Lauding various organisations created by Shri Dattopanth Thengri such as – Akhil Bhartiya Grahak Panchayat, Bhartiya Adhivakta Sangh and Sanskar Bharti, the Vice President said that democracy should not merely remain limited to casting of votes, rather people should be actively involved in national affairs. Such organizations help in giving constructive voice to people’s aspirations, he added.
2. Field Training exercise (FTX)-2019 Exercise
· The inaugural Indo-Uzbekistan Joint Field Training Exercise (FTX)-2019, Exercise DUSTLIK-2019 culminated on 13 November 2019 after 10 days of joint training with Uzbekistan Army.
· In the joint exercise which began on 04 November 2019 training was focused on counter insurgency and counter terrorism operations in urban scenario as well as sharing of expertise on skills at arms, both combat shooting and experiences in counter insurgency and counter terrorism. The exercise also provided an opportunity to armies of all nations for greater cultural understanding, sharing experiences and strengthening mutual trust and cooperation.
· After intense military training, the joint exercise concluded with both Armies exhibiting their combat power and dominance over the extremist groups. The closing ceremony showcased the immense talent with unique traditional touch of both nations. It was conducted at Chirchiq Training Area, Uzbekistan. The senior officials expressed great satisfaction with high standards achieved in the exercise.
· The bonhomie, spirit de corps and goodwill generated during the exercise will go a long way in future strengthening the bonds between our armed forces enabling us in understanding each other’s organisation and methodology of conducting various operations.
3. Prakash Javadekar Takes Charge as Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Minister
· Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting & Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Prakash Javadekar,assumed office today in the Ministryof Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises.
· The Minister was welcomed by Secretary, Department of Heavy Industry, Asha Ram Sihag, Secretary, Department of Public Enterprises, Sailesh, and senior officers of both Departments.
4. ESIC to Partner PMJAY to Provide Medical Care
· Shri Santosh Kumar Gangwar, Minister of State (Independent Charge) for Labour& Employment, Govt. of India informed that ESIC has recently taken initiative viz. Partnership of ESIC with PMJAY – Ayushman Bharat to provide medical care to ESIC beneficiaries in 102 designated newly implemented districts.
· He further said that ESIC has relaxed the norms for opening of hospitals and now 30 bedded hospitals will be built where 20000 IPs are present. He also informed about ESIC – Chinta se Mukti mobile app and availability of Helpdesk for Stakeholders.
· Shri Santosh Kumar Gangwar speaking as chief guest at the 3rd Graduation Ceremony of ESIC Dental College & Hospital, Rohini, Delhi organized at Siri Fort Auditorium, New Delhi.
· While addressing the gathering, Minister wished all the graduating students a bright future and congratulated them for their achievement. He said that all graduates should perform their duties in the welfare of the society keeping the professional commitment in mind and serve their best to the country.
- The other dignitaries to grace the occasion were Sh. Raj Kumar, IAS, Director General, Smt. Sandhya Shukla IA & AS, Financial Commissioner, Dr. R.K. Kataria, Medical Commissioner, Dr. P.L. Chaudhari, Medical Commissioner (ME), and Dr. VivekHanda, Deputy Medical Commissioner (Medical Education). Dr. Dhirendra Srivastava, Dean, ESIC Dental College & Hospital, Rohini administered the pledge to the graduating students and emphasized on the importance of Access, Quality and Equity in Medical Education.
· ESIC Dental College, Rohini, Delhi under the genesis of Ministry of Labour and Employment, is only the 3rd Government Dental College in Delhi-NCR region. The Bachelor of Dental Surgery (BDS) course offered at this institute is in strict adherence to guidelines set by the Dental Council of India and is affiliated to the prestigious Guru Gobind Singh Indra Prastha (GGSIP) University. With quality treatment and value based dental education imparted at ESIC Dental College; ESIC continues to deliver quality medical care.
· The Employees’ State Insurance Corporation is a pioneer Social Security organization providing comprehensive social security benefits like reasonable Medical Care and a range of Cash Benefits in times of need such as employment injury, sickness, death etc. The ESI Act applies to premises/precincts where 10 or more persons are employed. The employees drawing wages up to Rs. 21,000/- a month are entitled to health insurance cover and other benefits, under the ESI Act. The Act now applies to over 12.11 lakh factories and establishments across the country, benefiting about 3.49 crores family units of workers. As of now, the total beneficiary population of ESI Scheme stands over 13.56 crores. Ever since its inception in 1952, the ESI Corporation has, so far, set up 159 Hospitals, 1500/148 Dispensaries / ISM Units, 793 Branch/Pay Offices, 29 Dispensary-cum-Branch Offices and 64 Regional & Sub-Regional/Divisional Offices.
5. CSIR-IMTECH signs MOU with IIT Bombay
· CSIR-Institute of Microbial Technology (IMTECH), Chandigarh signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Bombay to promote collaborative research. The MoU will facilitate exchange of ideas, development of new knowledge and enhance high quality research acumen between the researchers and faculty of both the institutes.
· The objective of this collaboration is to carry out state of the art research in areas of healthcare especially in projects and mission where both the institutes can significantly complement each other.
· Both the institutes shall benefit immensely through this partnership as it will facilitate exchange of faculty and students for the purpose of research, teaching, development and implementation of collaborative research projects, professional development programs, and capacity-building efforts.
· Welcoming the partnership, Dr. Shekhar C. Mande said, “As IIT Bombay is amongst the top ranked institutes of the country and IMTECH has its focus cut out on solving India’s unmet medical needs, this MoU shall promote collaborative research specifically in the area of healthcare.”
· This MoU is in line with the circular issued by MHRD in 2018 paving way for all IITs to sign MoUs with National Research Laboratories affiliated to CSIR to start new collaborations and to deepen, broaden interactions where such collaborations already exist. Subsequently, faculty from both the institutes will interact to collaborate specifically under different areas of this umbrella MOU.
· On the sidelines of signing the MoU, Dr. Manoj Raje said, “Two of the best institutes in disciplines of engineering and science have formally come together and I believe students and faculty from both the institutes will work towards development and implementation of collaborative research projects, professional development programs, and capacity-building efforts.”
· CSIR-IMTECH is a national center for excellence in microbial sciences and was established in 1984. IMTECH’s vision is to discover and develop translational products and new drugs to address key unmet societal and medical needs.
6. India and Switzerland
- Fighting the menace of Black Money stashed in offshore accounts is a key priority area for the Government of India. Following the agreement between Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and Swiss President Mr Ueli” Maurer for enhanced cooperation in the fight against tax evasion, the two sides have worked closely for expeditious information exchange in tax matters.
- To further this cooperation, Revenue Secretary Dr Ajay Bhushan Pandey and Switzerland’s State Secretary for International Finance Ms Daniela Stoffel met here today. The Secretaries expressed satisfaction over the progress made over the past few years in the area of administrative assistance in tax matters, particularly the efforts made by Switzerland in providing assistance in HSBC cases.
- Welcoming the first transmission of financial account information on automatic basis between the two countries in September 2019, the Secretaries reiterated their countries’ commitment to global tax transparency for tackling offshore tax evasion. This automatic exchange of financial account information will usher a new era of financial transparency as Indian tax administration will now know the details of all bank accounts held by Indians in Switzerland. The Secretaries encouraged the competent authorities of both the countries to further collaborate and share experiences with the aim of continuously enhancing the quality of the exchanged data.
- The Revenue Secretary and Swiss State Secretary also exchanged views on addressing the challenges arising out of digitalisation of the economy and agreed that coordinated international actions, as in the case of tax base erosion and profit shifting project, are central to achieving a consensus-based long-term solution that leads to desired tax certainty and sustainable development.
- The Secretaries reaffirmed the need for continuous dialogue at the level of competent authorities of the two countries to further enhance the cooperation under the India-Switzerland tax treaties and agreed to carry forward the dialogue in the spirit of mutual friendship and cooperation.
7. The visit to Brazil will give me an opportunity to deepen the India-Brazil strategic partnership
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi would be taking part in this year’s BRICS Summit in Brazil on 13th and 14th November. The Summit’s theme is ‘Economic growth for an innovative future.’
- “I look forward to holding discussions with BRICS leaders on greater cooperation in a wide range of areas. On the sidelines of this Summit, I would be addressing the BRICS Business Forum and interacting with BRICS Business Council as well as the New Development Bank. Improving economic linkages augur well for the BRICS nations. The visit to Brazil will give me an opportunity to hold talks with the President of Brazil on ways to deepen the India-Brazil strategic partnership. There is great potential in sectors like trade, defence, agriculture and energy.”, the PM sai
- I would be taking part in this year’s BRICS Summit being held in Brazil on 13th and 14th November. The Summit’s theme is ‘Economic growth for an innovative future.’ I look forward to holding discussions with BRICS leaders on greater cooperation in a wide range of areas.
- Chaos on Hong Kong roads continues for 3rd consecutive day
- In Hong Kong, chaos on city roads continued for the third consecutive day today as agitators continued their strike, obstructing roads and fighting battles with police.
- Police lobbed teargas and rubber shells to contain protesters who ignited fire and petrol bombs at the Chinese University of Hong Kong. The protesters were building barricades on several major roads to cripple traffic, tossing bricks and other obstacles to disrupt traffic movement.
- The clashes followed an incident on Monday when police shot a protester and a man was set on fire. Hong Kong is witnessing 24 straight weeks of increasingly violent rallies, aimed at securing greater democratic freedoms from China.
9.Sri Lanka Presidential elections
- In Sri Lanka, the campaigning for Presidential elections will come to an end tonight with final election rallies scheduled during the day. Polling is scheduled for this Saturday and election results are expected by Sunday.
- Election Commission has urged the presidential candidates not to carry out any promotional activities via social media platforms after midnight .
- Minister Sajith Premadasa and former Defense Secretary Gotabaya Rajapaksa are front runners for the post while Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna Leader Anura Kumara Dissanayake and former Army Commander General Mahesh Senanayake are among the other prominent candidates with a total of 35 in the fray.
- The election campaign has remained largely peaceful so far. Commonwealth and European Union have deployed observers across the county to monitor the election process. Around 1.6 crore voters are eligible to vote at 12,845 polling booths countrywide while over six lakh of them were eligible for postal voting from 31st of October to 5th of November.
10. Bangladeshi Prez visiting Nepal
- President of Bangladesh Md. Abdul Hamid is on a four day visit to Nepal. On first day of his visit, Nepal’s Minister for Foreign Affairs Pradeep Kumar Gyawali paid a courtesy call on Bangladeshi President in Kathmandu last evening.
- During the meeting, matters pertaining to cooperation in the areas of trade, investment, energy, connectivity, waterways, aviation, education, transportation and agriculture were discussed. Both the leaders also shared views on enhancing cooperation on matters of regional and global interests, including climate change.
- President of Bangladesh also visited famous Bhaktapur Durbar Square and observed with interest the archaeological and historical sites. President Hamid is scheduled to meet his Nepalese counterpart Bidya Devi Bhandari. President of Nepal will also host a Banquet in his honour.
- Vice President Nanda Bahadur Pun, Prime Minister K.P. Sharma Oli and Chairperson of the National Assembly Ganesh Prasad Timilsina will pay courtesy call on Bangladeshi President. During his stay in Nepal President Hamid will also visit Pokhara.
11. Connectivity between India, Bangladesh is game changer
- Connectivity between India and Bangladesh is a game changer and it is a win win situation for both the countries. Speaking at the Global Dhaka Dialogue on the second day of the event on Tuesday India’s High Commissioner to Bangladesh Riva Ganguly Das said that 80 percent of the 8 billion dollar Line of Credit given by India to Bangladesh is earmarked for connectivity linked projects.
- She said that projects in road, railways, inland waterways and ports between the two countries create a win win situation for both the countries. She also talked about the digital connectivity as an exciting area for connectivity in the future.
- On the issue of the Indo-Pacific region Riva Ganguly Das said that India believes in an inclusive Indo-Pacific which is safe, secure and stable. She said India believes in freedom of navigation and respect for sovereignty of all in the region. Former Information & Broadcasting Minister Manish Tewari said that the 21st century is the Asian Century and South Asia is its economic driver.
- State Minister for Foreign Affairs of Bangladesh Md. Shahriar Alam said Bangladesh believes the Indo-Pacific strategy and Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) are not conflicting but complementary to each. Prof. Minwang Lin of Fudan University said that for China the focus is on Asia especially East Asian countries. Challenging the concept of the Indo-Pacific he said it is an artificial concept with no firm basis in geography. The Dhaka Global Dialogue will conclude on Wednesday.
12. Former Bolivian Prez Evo Morales arrives in Mexico to take up political asylum
- Ex-President of Bolivia Evo Morales arrived in Mexico yesterday to take up political asylum, vowing to continue the struggle. He had resigned amid mounting protests over his fraud-stained re-election to a fourth term on October 20th .
- Addressing a large crowd of journalists gathered at the airport, he thanked President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador of Mexico for saving his life. He vowed to remain in politics, saying, his flight into exile would not be the end of the story.
- Morales, 60, led Bolivia for more than 13 years. He was a member of the “pink tide” of leftist leaders who held sway across much of Latin America in the 2000s. He was, however, forced to step down after losing the backing of the military and police amid weeks of increasingly violent protests over his constitutionally questionable re-election. The constitutional next-in-line, deputy senate speaker Jeanine Anez, has pledged to call fresh elections.
13. India calls for coordinated global action against cyber terrorism
- India has called for coordinated action by nations, bilaterally or multilaterally, to prevent the forces of terrorism and extremism from building presence in the digital domain.
- External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar, at the Paris Peace Forum, said that countries should consider entering into arrangements for speedy action and mitigation on issues pertaining to the governance of cyberspace and specific security threats.
- He said, India’s support to the Christchurch call to eliminate terrorist and violent extremist content online manifests the country’s commitment to work with like-minded countries, without endangering our safety and security.
- He said cyberspace and digital technologies have been a real force of economic, social, political, industrial, even behavioural transformation.
- India has joined France, New Zealand, Canada and several other countries in launching a major initiative to combat terrorism and extremism online and secure the internet.
14. Virat Kohli, Jasprit Bumrah maintain top positions in ICC ODI ranking
· In Cricket, Indian skipper Virat Kohli and Jasprit Bumrah have maintained their top spots in the latest ICC ODI Player Rankings. Kohli is at the top of the rankings for batsmen, followed by his deputy Rohit Sharma.
· In the bowlers’ rankings, Bumrah maintained his top spot followed by New Zealand’s pacer Trent Boult. Hardik Pandya is the only Indian to feature in the top 10 among all-rounders.
· He is at number 10. England’s World Cup hero Ben Stokes tops the chart followed by Mohammad Nabi of Afghanistan.
15. Asian Youth Championships
- In Boxing, two Indian boxers — Ankit Narwal and Aman advanced to the quarterfinals of the Asian Youth Championships at Ulaanbaatar in Mongolia. Aman defeated Uzbekistan’s Makhmudov Mimukhsin 5-0 in 60 kg category. Ankit prevailed 3-2 over Mongolia’s Tulga Oyunbaatarin 91 kg category.
- India were assured of two medals in the event after Komalpreet Kaur (81kg) and Sushma (81kg) got direct entry into the semifinals owing to the small size of their respective draws in the women’s competition.
No comments found