Current Affairs,6th February 2020
- February 7, 2020
- Posted By : upliftlife
- 0 Comment
- No document will be collected during updation of NPR; Providing Aadhaar number voluntary: Govt
- Government has made it clear that no document will be collected during the updation of the National Population Register, NPR and providing Aadhaar number during the exercise is voluntary.
- In written replies in Lok Sabha, Minister of State for Home Nityanand Rai said, the government is in discussion with the states having concerns with regard to the preparation of the NPR. He said, the demographic and other particulars of each family and individual are to be collected during the exercise of updation of NPR.
- The Minister also said, an instruction manual for the updation of NPR 2020 for enumerators and supervisors has been prepared. People will have to provide information for NPR to the best of their knowledge and belief.
- The minister also made it clear that during the NPR updation exercise, no verification will be done to find individuals whose citizenship is doubtful.
- One country, One tax, One ration card to be a reality soon: PM Modi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has said that One country, One tax and One ration card will be a reality soon. Addressing an election rally in Delhi today, Mr. Modi said, the Government is committed towards introducing one ration card system in the national capital as well which will benefit lakhs of migrants who have relocated to Delhi in search of better jobs and opportunities. Prime Minister said that people in many states are already using this facility but due to the non-cooperation of the AAP government in Delhi many Government schemes cannot be implemented in the National Capital.
- Speaking in the rally, Prime Minister Modi said that a government in Delhi should be such that it can support the Central Government’s strong decisions in matters of national security. He said that criticism of landmark and crucial decisions on matters of national security only strengthens the divisive forces and undermines national image. He also said that since the enactment of CAA, people in the country have been witnessing the falsehood which is being propagated by a few people. He also accused the current Delhi government of indulging in the use of abusive language against the police personnel.
- Modi said that where on one hand the nation is witnessing such behaviour of disrespect, on the other the BJP Government has dedicated National Police Memorial and National War Memorial in Delhi marking respect for the heroes safeguarding the country.
- Raising a concern about non-implementation of core central government schemes in Delhi like Ayushman Bharat, PM-Awas and PM-Kisan Samman, Prime Minister Modi said that the people in other states are already utilizing benefits of such social schemes.
- Mughal Gardens to be opened
- The annual Udyanotsav of Rashtrapati Bhavan will open for the general public today. The Mughal Gardens will remain open till 8th of next month and visitors can visit between 10 A.M. to to 4 P.M.
- The gardens will be closed for visitors on Mondays on account of maintenance.
- In addition to the direct walk-in entry, visitors can also avail the online booking facility. Entry and exit for all online and walk-in visitors will be from Gate No. 35 of the President’s Estate. Our correspondent reports that the main attraction this year, besides Tulips and Exotic flowers, are bulbous flowerings.
- 10,000 Tulips specially cultivated in Mughal Gardens are expected to bloom in phases during this month. They are in vivid colours of red, white, orange and yellow mixed with red and pink.
- Flower Carpets in magnificent designs will also be on display in the Central Lawns revealing the skill and craft of the gardeners of Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- The dominant colour scheme of this year’s ornamental flowers is white, yellow, red and orange. A small beautified cactus corner with interesting varieties of cactus and succulents has been landscaped. Air purifying plants have been showcased in Garden.
- An Exhibition Stall will showcase organic fresh vegetables and fruits grown in the President’s Estate Organic Farm.
- Every year, thousands of people flock to the Mughal Gardens to witness the blooming beauties and this year too, the Udyanotsav will be a treat for the eyes.
- Direct Tax ‘Vivad se Vishwas’ Bill 2020
- The Direct Tax Vivad Se Vishwas Bill, 2020 is expected to be tabled in Lok Sabha today. The bill aims at reducing litigations in the direct taxes payments. Under the ‘Vivad se Vishwas’ scheme announced in the Union Budget, taxpayers whose tax demands are locked in dispute in multiple forums can pay due taxes by 31st of March and get complete waiver of interest and penalty.
- Under the scheme, if a taxpayer is not able to pay within the 31st March deadline, he gets a further time till 30th June, but in that case he would have to pay 10 percent more on the tax.
- The Rajya Sabha will resume the discussion on the Motion of Thanks on President Ram Nath Kovind’s address to joint sitting of both houses of Parliament.
- Exercise, ‘Matla Abhiyaan’
- Indian Navyhas carried out 5-day coastal security exercise called, ‘Matla Abhiyaan’ at Sunderban region in Kolkata, West Bengal with the aim to create awareness about the coastal security to the local community & understand the navigational complexities in the Sunderban delta waters.
- The exercise, named after Matla River, witnessed the 2 naval boats Flagged in’ at the ‘Man of War Jetty’ & carrying out a passage from Kolkata to Hemnagar (Both in West Bengal) via the international trade protocol route between India-Bangladesh.
- During the exercise, the naval officers interacted with the crew of fishing boats, tankers & coastal police stations at Maipit, Jharkhali, Hemnagar and Gobindgarpur.
- India banned export of all kinds of personal protection equipment
- Export of all kinds of personal protection equipment, like clothing and masks for protecting people from airborne particles including coveralls and N95 maskswere banned by India with immediate effect. The move has been taken assuming that there could be a growing demand for such products due to the recent outbreak of Novel Coronavirus (nCoV).
- The Directorate General of Foreign Trade(DGFT) has also banned the import of stock lot papers which are kind of discarded, improper sized and unused papers. This has been done to cut down imports of non-essential items to India.
- The India Government is also taking a step to evacuate Indian people from the Chinese city of Wuhan where main outbreak of virus had happened.
- Narmada Mahotsav 2020
- Madhya Pradesh(MP) Government conducts the Amarkantak Narmada Mahotsa 2020from 31st January to 2nd February 2020 in the beautiful plains of Amarkantak,MP during Narmada Jayanthi.
- The Narmada is a major source of drinking water, irrigation & hydroelectricity for Madhya Pradesh & Gujarat.
- Among 3 days of celebration one day will be reserved for all women activities under the theme of “Beti Bachao- Beti Padhao”.
- A light and sound show based on the life of Maa Narmada will be organized.
- The rich cultural heritage of the region, art & agricultural products like the healthy Kodo-rice etc., will be demonstrated before the public during the Mahotsav function.
- Fiscal deficit reached 132.4 % of budget estimate for 2019-2020 till December: CGA
- According to the data released by the Controller General of Accounts (CGA),the fiscal deficit reached 4 % of the full fiscal target in December 2019 itself due to the slow pace of revenue collection in the current financial year-FY 2019-2020.
- As per the data, in the first 9 months of the current FY, the fiscal deficit i.e. the difference between expenses & receipts stood at Rs 9,31,725 crore.While, the government in its Medium Term Fiscal Policy (MTFP) Statement presented with the Budget 2019-20, had set a target of limiting the fiscal deficit to Rs 7,03,760 crore, or 3.3 % of gross domestic product (GDP), in the current FY ending March 2020.
- Previous fiscal:In the first nine months of FY 2018-19, the fiscal deficit was 112.4 % of the budget estimate (BE)
- Till December 2019, in the current FY 20,the government has received revenue receipts of Rs 11.46 lakh crore, which is just 58.4 % of the budget estimate. The collection was 62. 8 % of the budget estimate in the same period of the last financial year (2018-19).
- According to the data, the total expenditure in the current financial year during the reporting period was Rs 21.09 lakh crore, ie 75.7 % of the budget estimate.
- This was 75 % of the budget estimate for the same period in the previous fiscal (2018-19).
- Out of the total spending in the first three quarters of the current financial year, capital expenditure accounted for 75.6 %of the budget estimates. It was 70.6 % of the budget estimate in the same period of the previous fiscal.
- The Economic Survey estimates: The Economic Survey projectes the country’s economic growth rate to be 6-6.5 % during the financial year 2020-21. At the same time, GDP (Gross Domestic Product ) growth can be 5 % in the financial year 2019-20, which will be the slowest growth rate in the last 11 years.
- 7th MSME Excellence Award
- Amulya Mica (Purbanchal Laminates Pvt Ltd), spear-headed by its Managing Director Rakesh Agarwal, was chosen as the Most Promising Brand of the Year Award 2019, Gold Category during the 7thedition of the MSME Excellence Award. The award & summit was organised by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) at Le Maiden in New Delhi.
- The award was given by MSME minister Shri Nitin Jairam Gadkari to Ankur Maheshwari, Channel Partner Delhi and Sunil Thakore, General Manager of Export at Amulya Mica.
- The ASSOCHAM MSMEs Excellence Awards” has been given to acknowledge outstanding contributions made by MSMEs (Micro Small and Medium Enterprises) to various sectors of economy.
- Since the past 4 years Amulya Mica has also received the Most Trusted Brand Award by IBC (International Brand Consulting Corporation), United States(US).
- Minister of State(MoS) for MSME Pratap Chandra Sarangi and other officials were present at the event.
- India and Maldives inks 4 MoUs
- India & Maldivessigned 5 MoUs (memorandum of understanding) to establish Addu tourism Zone on 5 islands of Addu Atoll in Maldives with a project cost of $2.49 million. In addition, 6th MoU to set up a bottled water plant at Hoarafushi, an inhabited island in Maldives was also signed.
- All 6 projects will be granted under India’s High Impact Community Development Scheme (HICDP), which was signed during the visit of Former External Affairs Minister late Sushma Swaraj to Male in March 2019, and, a total grant of $ 5.6 million was announced.
- The MoUs were signed by the High Commissioner of India Sunjay Sudhir, Minister of Foreign Affairs Abdulla Shahid and Addu City Council.
- Addu is one of the most beautiful places of Maldives ’26 coral atoll. It consists of more than two dozen islands of 1192 islands of Maldives.
Addu is also a key destination for tourism as it represents the southernmost point of South Asia.
- Maldives readmitted and becomes 54th member of Commonwealth family
- Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, President of the Maldives announced that Maldives has once again become a member of the Commonwealth family after the meeting between Abdullah Shahid, Foreign Minister of Maldives & Patricia Scotland, Secretary General of the Commonwealth.
- The Maldives became the54th family member of the Commonwealth family.
- In November 2018, President Mohamed Solih,cabinet passed the country’s interest to rejoin the Commonwealth family.
- After the positive feedback from Commonwealth observer group, who visited Maldives in April 2019 & from 53 commonwealth nations, Maldives readmitted.
- Maldives will be part of the “Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM)” in Kigali, Rwanda(East Africa), between June 22 to 28,2020.
- Maldives joined the Commonwealth in 1982 and withdrew its membership in 2016 by its former President Abdulla Yameen.
- There are 54 countries in the Commonwealth, in Africa, Asia, the Americas, Europe and the Pacific. The Commonwealth countries are diverse – they are amongst the world’s biggest, smallest, richest and poorest countries.
- Theme 2020:The theme for the 2020 Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM), for Commonwealth Day is ”Delivering a Common Future: Connecting, Innovating, Transforming”.
- India surpassed US to become 2nd largest smartphone market globally; China tops
- According to the recently released Counterpoint Research’s Market Monitor service report, Indiasurpassed the United States(US) for the first time to become the 2nd largest smartphone market in the world. India recorded 158 million shipments in 2019 with 7% year-on-year growth which was mainly due to Chinese smartphone brands that were introduced. The list was topped by China.
- Smartphone share: The combined share of top 5 smartphone brands was around 84% which is the highest level ever recorded.
- Top smartphone brand: Chinese smartphone company Xiaomitopped the smartphone market for the second consecutive year with 28% market share. Xiaomi was followed by South Korean brand Samsung in the 2nd place with 21% market share
- Fastest growing brands:Some of the fastest growing brands include Chinese smartphone brand Vivo at 16% with 76% year on year growth. Realme at 10% recorded 255% growth while Oppo at 9% recorded 28% year on year growth.
- Chinese brands:The brands from China hit a record 72% growth for 2019 compared to 60% in 2018.
Indian smartphone shipment market share rank 2019:
|Rank||Smartphone brand |
- Coronavirus: Britain, France urge citizens to leave China
- Britain has urged all of its citizens in China to leave the country because of the outbreak of a respiratory illness from Novel Coronavirus, while Belgium became the latest nation to announce a confirmed case.
- advisory issued by the U.K. Foreign Office said that while commercial flights remained available from most of mainland China, travel restrictions introduced by the Chinese Government to contain the epidemic meant, it may become harder to access departure options over the coming weeks.
- France also issued an advisory, warning against any non-essential travel to China and suggesting that French citizens, who were already there, should return home.
- Belgium, meanwhile, reported its first case of the Coronavirus, found in one of the nine citizens who were repatriated from Wuhan over the weekend. Germany confirmed two more cases of the virus.
- In all, Europe had 28 confirmed cases of the virus as of yesterday, Germany had 12; France six; Russia, Italy and the U.K have two each and Finland, Sweden, Spain and Belgium have one each.
- More than 20,400 people have been infected with the virus in China and over 400 died.
- Two other people have died in the Philippines and Hong Kong and 20 other nations have reported cases.
- WHO Chief Tedros Adhanom calls for greater solidarity among countries to contain spread of Coronavirus
- World Health Organization Chief Tedros Adhanom has said that the dramatic measures taken by China to rein in the deadly Novel Coronavirus outbreak have prevented significant spread abroad. He said it has provided a window of opportunity to halt transmission
- UN health agency’s chief has also called for greater solidarity, accusing some governments of wealthy countries of being well behind in sharing data on virus cases.
- In a technical briefing to the WHO’s Executive Board in Geneva yesterday, Mr Tedros said, while 99 percent of cases are in China, just 176 cases are in rest of the world. He said, let us not miss this window of opportunity.
- Mr Tedros said, the WHO had received complete case report forms for only 38 percent of the cases outside China.
- More than 20,400 cases of the virus have been confirmed in China since the virus was first detected on 31st of December last year.
- Mr Tedros further said, the WHO was sending masks, gloves, respirators and 18,000 protective isolation gowns to 24 countries, as well as 2,50,000 test kits to speed up the process of diagnosis for carriers of the virus. He also reiterated his call for countries not to impose travel and trade restrictions because of the virus.
- Women’s Hockey: Rani strike helps India beat Great Britain 1-0
- In Women’s Hockey, skipper Rani Rampal struck the solitary goal as the Indian team recorded a 1-0 win over Great Britain in its fourth match of the ongoing tour in Auckland .
- Rani scored the goal in the 47 minutes to give India the lead and eventually seal the match.
- After winning their opening match of the tour against the hosts’ development squad, India had suffered two-back-to-back losses to New Zealand.